“You don’t look like you have Alzheimer’s disease”

Print This Post Print This Post

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Linda McFeely says:

Cynthia is an inspiration to us all. She tackles the stigma of this disease with patience and grace. It is unfortunate that this occured at a medical facility. We all have so much more to do in the fight to stop this disease, and awareness is right at the top of the list. Thank you for sharing your story so I can use it as a tool and share with others.

2. TerryBerry says:

Great story Cynthia…. and your are simply vibrant!

3. I worked with Cynthia for many years and still enjoy communicating with her . Her Intelegence , humor, and compassion are still intact and in a health enviroment we always see the last stages of Alzheimers . I guess I can see both sides of her experience and appreciate it for a compliment and not an insult as I’m sure she surprised and showed a good side of Alzheimers if there is one . The more people are interactive with thes good looking , facinating , and lovable people like Cynthia the less the stigma will be . You go GUZ, love and Prayers, Sharon.

4. Jim Dillett says:

Thank you for putting a face on Alzheimer’s disease. From my perspective that horrible disease needs to be better known and you are certainly doing that. Please continue your efforts and I wish you well. I will also remember you in my prayers.

Jim Dillett

5. Mimi Steffen says:

Yes, this is typical for most people, even the medical profession.

Once I found a stopper. A friend was trying to sympathize with me with that stock: We all forget names sometimes.

Knowing she was a fairly new grandma, I looked at her and said, ” And do you forget your grandson’s name?” The shock that registered on her face was all I needed to make my day.

The more of us that are willing to get tested at an early stage and then go public, the better educated the world will be.

6. Lori says:

Thank you for this piece. My mother is in end stage Alzheimer’s but when she was first diagnosed many years ago, it surprised me how many medical professionals do not understand this disease and its stages. They would speak only to me and ignore her during exams-even though as you say, she was capable of understanding as long as things were explained clearly and slowly. They meant well, but so many do not have first hand experience with the disease and, maybe more importantly, many do not have the time to really sit and listen to a patient.

Anything we all can do to help educate will go a long way. You have a tremendous attitude and spirit. Thanks again!

7. Tommy Dunne says:

As a person living with demementi(Alz) i concur with everything Cynthia said what she left out is that when you have dementia you gain a supper power the power to become invisible in a full room
    everyone talks over you, around you, about you but never to you
    so once you say the magic words
    I’ve got dementia
    You disappear!
    @tommytommytee18

8. becky hayes says:

My 34 year old daughter Sarah has Down Syndrome and 3 years ago was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers disease. I can’t believe that this has to happen to her. She also has Renal insufficieny due to a problem with her parathyroid gland. I’m not complaining for myself. I just am going to hare to see her go thru what I know is coming.She also had 2 open heart surgeries before she was 2.dhe has excellent doctors and receives the best care I can provide. I was only 24 when she was born and worked as a nurse until my dr retired me after a bout with breast cancer and several spinal issues. Any incites you vould give to me would be greatly appreciated. Thank yoi.

9. Katie says:

I run into the same problem with my bipolar disorder. Apparently I don’t look like I have bipolar or sometimes I’m told I do “too well” to have bipolar. Invisible illnesses like these are sometimes really hard to explain to people :-\ even health professionals

1. March 21, 2014

[…] “You don’t look like you have Alzheimer’s disease” | Alzheimers and Dementia Blog – Al…. […]